Baseball’s back (and better than ever? Uhhhh…) and I took a trip to the Bronx to attend my first Opening Day game!
The weather was great to start but got very chilly (for spring) later on. It didn’t help that the Yankees lost 8-2 to the Boston Red Sox but I still had a good time.
Here are some things worth noting:
- CC Sabathia looks skinnier than ever. Starting to live up to being billed as “Slimbathia.” Still big but the girth he once had is now largely absent.
- CC didn’t warm up to “Big Poppa” 😦
- It was quite hot to start the game; my seats were still in the direction of the sun despite being under some shade. I think I got a slight tan out of it…
- The sound system in my section wasn’t working at all—we couldn’t hear any announcements during the opening ceremonies. They finally turned on the speakers just in time for Mariano Rivera’s introduction.
- A moment of silence was held to honor the memory of those killed in the school shooting at Sandy Hook. Just heartbreaking thinking about those young children who were murdered.
- The giant videoboard misspelled Eduardo Nunez’s name as “Eduardi Nunez.” This was corrected quickly.
- The crowd cleared at around the 6th or 7th inning. By the 8th and 9th, it started to drizzle and get windy; this forced more people to hide for cover making Yankee Stadium look completely empty.
All in all, a fun time was still had. Go Yankees!